Lib Dems in Government making sure every young person has a fair chance
The Lib Dems in Government are taking real action to tackle youth unemployment. Every young person who wants it will be guaranteed a job, training or work placement.
The Youth Contract will create over 400,000 new jobs and 250,000 new work experience placements to help young people across Britain to get into work.
Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg MP said, “If people are out of work when they’re young they bear the scars for decades. If they have a false start, they might not ever fully catch up.
"This £1 billion investment will make sure our young people are earning and learning again, before long-term damage is done.”
The Liberal Democrats are determined to tackle youth unemployment - an issue that has been ignored for too long.
During Labour’s 13 years in power, youth unemployment rose by nearly 40%. There was a shocking 86% increase in the number of 18-24 year olds claiming Job Seekers Allowance.
Local Lib Dem Cllr John Gibson added, “Our new plans will make sure every young person has a fair chance. Thanks to the Lib Dems in Government, 830 local learners took on an apprenticeship in the past year to gain key skills, and now the 69% of young people in our area on Job Seekers Allowance will get extra support to help them into work too.”
The £1 billion new investment to tackle youth unemployment includes:
• Over 400,000 new work places for 18 – 24 year olds over the next three years
• 250,000 extra work experience places for every 18 – 24 year old who wants one (after 3 months on Job Seekers Allowance) and 160,000 wage subsidies
• All 18 – 24 year olds to receive extra careers support from Job Seekers Plus (after 3 months on Job Seekers Allowance)
• More funding to support apprenticeships, including 20,000 more incentive payments to encourage employers to take on young apprentices
• A new programme to help the most disengaged 16 – 17 year olds get learning again or into a job with training