Friday 14 January 2011

Jack Colbert - The man who has saved Crosby Conservative Club?

In a week that has seen Sefton Conservatives in disarray over their own in-house-rules and constitution, it has been further marked by a hilarious story to come out of Crosby Conservative Club. This week's Crosby Champion newspaper sees Jack Colbert (pictured), former Sefton Lib Dem Councillor, on the front page because of his present position as Chairman of the Crosby Con Club. The story was further printed in this week's Crosby Herald also.

I won't bother going into the detail because I believe the whole issue is rather out of proportion. I will, however, refer you to what my colleague Tony Robertson commented on the matter: "We all knew Jack had ‘taken over’ the Tory Club from the inside as he has been going there together with former Labour and Conservative Councillors for years! Indeed, Jack was asked to become Chairman of a Club that is, I am told, disaffiliating from the Tory Party! This reminds me of another local Con’ Club in Maghull that has dropped the name Conservative and now calls itself Kensington House Social Club."

As I say, it has been a bad week for the Tories right across Sefton, but I did laugh at Jack's one liner when contacted by the above newspapers:

“I only go for three reasons; because there’s cheap ale, good snooker tables and no Conservatives!”

The full articles can be found by clicking the following links: The Champion / The Crosby Herald

No comments:

Post a Comment